So I'm running the New York City Marathon (www.nycmarathon.com) on November 2, 2008. Let this blog document the ups and downs.

Friday, March 3

I had a good run last night with the Chicago Niketown Running Club after work. We did the usual 3 mile route which goes down Erie, south on Lakeshore Drive, under Lakeshore Drive, out and around the tip of Navy Pier and back. I finished in 22:57 which works out to a 7:40 mile.


I’m not sure why I enjoy this run so much but there is something fun about a group of 40 people coming together to go run outside on a winter day in Chicago. Each run starts with our leader – and Nike employee – Chris telling everyone “we’re starting on time today and doing the Navy Pier route. Have fun and I’ll see you soon.” Then everyone files out the big revolving doors at the front of the store and walks about 10 feet before falling into a running rhythm. I found it interesting to start at the back of the pack – as I did yesterday – and see everyone spill out onto the street and into a run.

It’s also entertaining to have a bunch of runners to pass without having to enter (or pay for) a formal race. Between avoiding other runners, pedestrians, and cars, and listening to my iPod I had lots to keep me busy during the 3 mile run.

I finished somewhere between 5th and 10th out of 40 runners and had a good stretch outside and some bananas and a bagel inside. No freebies were given to anyone this time but I still had a great time and plan on being back next week. They are doing a Nike shoe demo on March 23rd that should be cool. I want to give the new Air Max 360s a spin.

The only problem with the demo on the 23rd is if I'm going to get new shoes I should do it now and not wait for the end of the month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home