So I'm running the New York City Marathon (www.nycmarathon.com) on November 2, 2008. Let this blog document the ups and downs.

Monday, April 17

HAPPY EASTER!
It has been 9 long days since my last post so I figured I’d give my faithful readers and update on my injury / training / etc. Today is my first “walk normally” day after my doctor advised me to walk less for ten days following my injury. I don’t know how much I really reduced my walking since it is tough not to walk in a large city where mass transportation is the only real option to get to and from work. I also managed to get 2 rounds of golf in there (riding a cart, not walking) but I wasn’t going to pass up the first two rounds of the year for anything.

Over the past several days I have been lifting, swimming (once), and cycling (outside and stationary) to stay in shape while waiting for the green light on running again. I’m only 11 days (and counting) from being able to run and have the itch to get outside and bang out a quick 3 miles.

Speaking of running … today is the 110th running of The Boston Marathon. Two of my friends finished the race together in 3:52:45 which is an 8:53 pace. I’d love to qualify for Boston someday but the current qualifying time for my age group is 3:10:00 which is (at least) an hour faster than I will likely run my first marathon. In the meantime I’ll focus on running some portion of San Diego and then shoot for running all of Chicago. I’d also like to do the NYC Marathon someday but since it’s a lottery process to enter I’m not sure what the odds are I would make it in (but they are likely MUCH higher than my odds of getting into Boston).

Tonight I think I’m going to lift and maybe do a little stationary bike. Tomorrow night I’m heading to a Sox game at Comiskey (like many stubborn old men I refuse to call the place U.S. Cellular Field or The Cell or some other silly corporate name) so I’ll probably pass on tomorrow’s workout (unless I go to the gym early).

Well that’s all I have for now … GO CUBBIES (they are off to a 7-4 start and play the Dodgers L.A.T.E. tonight).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home