So I'm running the New York City Marathon (www.nycmarathon.com) on November 2, 2008. Let this blog document the ups and downs.

Tuesday, February 7

So as of yesterday, week one of training is in the books. I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday, 3 miles on Thursday, and 6 miles on Saturday. I took Superbowl Sunday off and had a cross training day yesterday. This involved a brief warm up and a lifting session.

Since I’m only one week into the program and the mileage isn’t too high yet I’m trying to focus on making some good habits for the remainder of the pre-marathon training. First and foremost I’m trying to put in a thorough stretch after every workout. Even if I only run 3 miles I want to take the time to stretch my back, arms, and legs well. I have noticed that if I stretch well it will decrease my muscle soreness, increase flexibility and help reduce my risk of injury.

Another resolution (as you may like to call it) is to listen to my body and not try and run too fast. Again, I don’t think that is a huge issue now since the weekly mileage is only at 15 miles but it will become much more important as the longest runs creep up toward 20 miles.
All-in-all week one went very well and I’m excited that I have finally started the ‘official’ training program. I’m starting to make some more plans for the trip now (booking a hotel) which makes the whole thing more real somehow.

Week #2 brings three more 3-mile runs (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) and a 7 mile long run on Saturday. I’m also throwing in a kickboxing class with friends after my run tonight. The class is called Powerstrike! and I think will be taught by Jean Claude Van Damme or his lesser know brother Cletus Van Damme.

If you have any questions or comments for me – marathon ninja – post ‘em here!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew, your blog is frackin' awesome and I know am determined to run a 1/16th marathon, at the very least. Note the use of HTML tags to spice that comment up. See you in San Diego!

9:26 PM, March 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home